The Ai & The Fly is a one woman business run from a van on the far South Coast NSW. Creations are made with nature, in nature and are inspired by nature. Honouring, respecting and loving Mother Nature is at the forefront of this little enterprise. Here’s what we’re doing to show that:
- Polyester string is being phased out by natural linen and hemp
- Off cuts of string are used to make smaller pieces like earrings and slider clasps
- Printed materials are done on 100% post consumer recycled papers with environmentally friendly inks.
- Where string is dyed in-house, ethically foraged plant dyes are used on natural fibres with natural mordants. There is no toxic waste and all water used is given back to the earth
- Polyester and linen strings are pre-waxed, but where waxing is required (for eco dyed hemp, regular hemp and maintenance of linen pieces) beeswax from small scale, local beekeepers is used.
- While many of our stones come from across the world, I do try to collect treasures from nature and buy from Australian fossickers where possible. Whenever stones are collected from the beach I follow a ritual to ask both the stones and the ocean for permission. The answer is not always yes and if it is not, the stones are left
- It’s always a work in progress and the next on my list of things to do is:
- Source majority of my stones from Australian fossickers
- Remove polyester entirely from my shop, except for custom requests and a few made to order designs where polyester will be offered as an option. This is because of its extreme durability, strength and waterfastness. If you’re rough on your jewellery, and/or aren’t likely to take it off you might prefer polyester. It’s no good being a natural fibre if it’s going to break while enduring the adventures you put it through. Linen is strong, durable and water resistant but it’s a natural fibre and will discolour over time and start to break down if worn in water and/or not properly maintained. When you buy a linen creation from The Ai & The Fly you’ll receive all you need to keep it looking and wearing at its best.
- Switch from bubble wrap padded post bags to more nature friendly alternatives (I’m just yet to find ones that protect your treasure well enough on their way to you)
If you have any suggestions or feedback on developing our environmental mission.
please feel welcome to email Erin at theaiandthefly @ gmail.com